To increase the employability of the students the Institute of Professional Studies, University of Allahabad has taken a new technology based initiative, of using mobile technology enabled learning solution for English proficiency and work-place skill. The initiative plans to utilize portable device (tablet) based language lab. mEducation represents a profound shift in the way education is delivered and received
mEducation is a technology-enabled learning solutions available to learners anytime, anywhere. Any portable device, such as a tablet, laptop or mobile phone, that provides access to educational content through mobile connectivity (2G, 3G, or 4G complemented by mobile-based Wi-Fi) can be a tool for mEducation.
Technology is changing our world in ways unimaginable even a decade ago. Mobile technology in particular has begun to permeate our daily lives, providing unparalleled access to information. It is also raising the quality of education and improving access to it. Early initiatives in mobile education, or "mEducation" are already enhancing learning outcomes worldwide. With growing availability and demand, mEducation is poised to become a USD 70 billion market by 2020.
The portable language lab consists of 21 Micromax tablets (20 student version + 1 teacher version), packed in a trolley (which provides storage, wireless access point, transportation & charging). Internet connectivity is provided through a CISCO router. The trolley also has a projector and speakers so that teacher can project from anywhere. The tablets are pre-loaded with the course work, EnglishEdge designed by LIQVID, a Noida based company. The tablets act as new age multimedia work book, favourite of 21st century learners.
mEducation offers three advantages with the potential to improve education delivery and thereby enhance learning outcomes:
- It simplifies access to content and experts, overcoming traditional constraints of time, location and collaboration.
- It personalizes education solutions for individual learners, helping educators customize the teaching process, using software and interactive media that adapt levels of difficulty to individual students' understanding and pace.
The Course provides interactive multimedia content keeping in mind the Indian context for:
- Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking-based interactive activities and exercises covering Fluency & confidence building, Grammar - Tenses, Articles etc., Pronunciation, Accent Reduction, Comprehension issues and Written communications
- Communication - personality, confidence, presentation etc. covering Verbal (incl. Tone), Narrative structures, Non - Verbal (Body language etc.), Group Discussions, Role plays, Interview, Presentation skills
- Video Recording and playback enables students to reflect and learn on their own. Students can do a whole lot of project based learning exercises, like video shoot a conversation and comment. Class room based activities help teachers/students to shoot, play - pause - comment on personality and confidence over and above English communication skills.
There is a master teacher tablet that controls the activity of all the student tablets. This leads to an undivided attention of teacher to each of the student and hence is helpful in monitoring and regular feedback
For learners this is a unique opportunity, as everyone gets a chance to register their response to a particular question and hence is an equal participant in the classroom activity. This ensures that no student is devoid of the opportunity to learn and tablet becomes an invaluable companion for learning.
The other advantages of the Portable lab are:
- Battery Powered Tablets ensures uninterrupted sessions
- Portable Lab - No additional infrastructure/ space required
The programme is launched at Centre of Food Technology on 13th August 2013 through joint training programme of teachers and learners